Tuesday 28 February 2012

The long weekend


Good day to you all!
Thought I'd share with you all what I got up to this weekend:

After my first week at language school (having missed Tuesday through illness), I found myself attending a young persons camp over the weekend. What this entailed was getting on a coach on Friday night for an hour or more, with 30 or so other young people, and staying in a kind of retreat centre type thingy. We studied the Bible, had worship, talks, games and even a spot of swimming. Thankfully the other four English short-termers in Lima (yes there are five of us) were there as well, meaning that I had a little help in understanding what on earth was going on most of the time.

I also had some great times with the young Peruvians, which was really important for me. One such “great time” somehow involved me impersonating Justin Bieber, as part of a sketch, for everyone to see. I'm prepared to admit, that wasn't a proud moment for me.

Anyway, I unfortunately had to leave the camp early, getting three buses to get to church in time, having promised to help with a different group of young(er) people. Here in Peru the beginning of Lent is celebrated throughout February and gives children permission to throw, squirt, pour, chuck, spray or explode water on others, often complete strangers who happen to be walking by. Fortunately, I have somehow dodged this tradition, but on Sunday my wonderful hosts Charo and Celia were organising a water-fight for the young people at my church: Ascencion, and invited me to come along as an extra body.

The hose doing nothing to protect from my own team!
Now those of you reading this in the UK are probably picturing a few little water-pistols, maybe a jug or two. Well, one advantage of having predictably hot weather, is that you can really push the boat out. Are arsenal consisted of a hose (used rather a lot), 3 giant soup pots, a couple of buckets, and about 6 jugs. Between six people. And we didn't stop soon either, we went on well past the point of saturation, and ended with some rather tasty burgers. Again, I had a great time getting to know the young people a bit, and will be getting involved helping with the youth in the weeks to come. I finally got home at about three o'clock on Sunday afternoon, and went to sleep. I was exhausted.

I guess I should mention that between having fun, going to language school, and being ill (though thankfully that's passed), I have actually done some real work: working some stats on the data we collected from the compassion project (but that's about it).

So prayers:
  • For the young people at the various churches and projects around the city
  • For my health and energy
  • For Dr Cooper and his ministry, as exciting prospects are beginning to take shape (but more on that another time)

God bless
B

No comments:

Post a Comment