Sunday 1 April 2012

The day the clinic (almost) rolled away


This is now the longest I have ever been away from home, away from my family, and I'm happy to say it's going well. This week I've been fairly busy with various things, but I have now finished all the language schooling that I'm going to partake in, so I hoping that things might get a bit easier from here on in.

The good doctor at work (that's the bus)
So I guess I should tell you what the title is in reference to. Well, there was a North American team down last week (that would be the week starting the 19th), for a campaign up in Puenta Piedre, which, although still in Lima, is a couple of hours bus ride from me. Because of the distance, and my commitments with language school, I was only able to go up on the Thursday. Anyway, at the campaign were doctors, dentists, physiotherapists all together doing some real good for local people: adults and children. With all these people working, there wasn't quite enough room, so Dr Cooper and I ended up setting up in the bus, which, as we quickly found out, didn't have a great handbrake! Thankfully Townsend was on hand to jump into the front seat and step on the brake. All in all, though, it was a great campaign, and we managed to get quite a few kids through the bus!

This past week, we've been at Santisima Trinidad, a school/church project where the director wants Dr Cooper to see all the children. This means we were there for three days on the first week, and are returning for Monday and Tuesday this week, to give us enough time to see all 140 odd children. It's been pretty intense (in-tents!!) going, and I've been flitting in and out of the clinic, between cleaning equipment, and measuring the children. We've had a couple of logistical issues, primarily the lack of the correct poles for the tent, which ended up a couple of feet higher than expected, giving me the wonderful job of keeping children and dogs from running in under the canvas. On Friday, however, Townsend and I sorted the tent components and managed to get them back where they belong.

You'll be pleased to know that my life isn't just tents and children, I've been getting involved in youth ministry as well. Helping at my own church, and going to the occasional diocese wide events as well (as I did on Saturday night). Anyway, I'm getting by, I'm pleased to say that I've seen a major improvement in my Spanish recently, and now pretty much always know at least vaguely what's going on. So praise God for that.

Oh, and of course we're into Holy Week aren't we. Being Palm Sunday, we processed up to the park, singing, before the service today and met up with a local Lutheran church, as a kind of joint witness. So that was pretty cool to feel a bit more connected to the rest of the city.

Random picture of me at a huaca
One thing I have been struggling with, though, is the heat. General consensus seems to be that summer is lasting longer this year, and it might stay this hot for another month or more. Unfortunately, it just completely wears me out, which is not great. Other than that I'm doing well. I've been trying to keep up to date with the state of affairs at home, but always appreciate messages letting me know what's going on.

If you have a few moments to spare, I would love some prayer for:
  • Help for me to cope with the heat
  • Lack of complacency with my Spanish, now I'm finished school
  • Thank the LORD for all He's done to get me to this point.

God bless you on this special week
B


No comments:

Post a Comment